ACTIVATION (October 1967)

In October the New Zealand Government decided to deploy a second rifle company group to South Vietnam.  
This company was formed, in Malaysia, within the 1st Battalion Royal New Zealand Infantry Regiment under
the interim command of its second - in - command, Captain B.D. Sinclair.

On November 14 Major P.G. Hotop arrived from New Zealand to assume command. The company group
including a mortar section and an assault pioneer section, conducted preparatory training, assisted by
1RNZIR, from Terendak Camp in Malacca.

                                                    DEPLOYMENT (16/17 December 1967)

On 20 November 1967 the company Advance Party deployed to Nui Dat, South Vietnam to join the 1st
Australian Task Force and was placed under the command of the 2nd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment
together with the other New Zealand company (V Company). This combined Battalion officially became The
Anzac Battalion on 1 March 1968. The remainder of the company now called W Company, deployed by royal
New Zealand Hercules from Singapore to the coastal town of Vung Tau and after a move by road convoy
was complete in Nui Dat on 17 December 1967. The company then set about establishing its new company
lines and conducted some familiarisation training. Fortunately, the company had internal lines within the other
companies, so had no perimeter post responsibilities except to fill the gaps when any company lacked the
manpower to guard their area at night because of other operational commitmentsC
CLICK on the Operation to get a brief of what happened
On 1 June 4RAR began arriving in Vung Tau and on 2 June V and W Companies came under
command, thus forming 4RAR/NZ (ANZAC) Battalion. W Company continued local
patroling in the Nui Dat area.
RETURN TO 1RNZIR   (15 November 1968)
On 14 and 15 November W Company was relieved by W2 Company and then flew out by
Royal New Zealand Air Force Hercules aircraft from Vung Tau to Singapore. Most of the
Company then returned to New Zealand and those that remained went to the Cameron
Highlands for a well earned rest.